Spark Plug and Wire Replacement
1981 928

I just (11/13/99) replaced many components of my ignition system. They were old and worn (most were original). I had hear that this was a moderately difficult task, so I approached it with a little trepidation.

I decided to replace the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. I will replace the ignition coil next weekend. I had read on the 928 Rennlist that a special tool ( Beru spark plug puller) was needed to remove the spark plug caps. After looking at the mess on top of the engine, I could see that there wasn't much room between the plugs and the intakes. I ordered the plugs, 8mm Kingsbourne Ignition wire set, cap, rotor, and puller from DEVEK.

I had already removed the airbox ( see page on air flow meter ) to replace the vacuum lines. This made it possible to get to the back plugs. Using the cap puller, it was not hard to remove the spark plug caps. Since I was replacing the distributor cap I left the plug wires attached to the cap. This would give me a reference when I need it. Removing the plugs wasn't to bad either. I used a 3/8" ratchet, 12" extension, swivel joint, and plug socket. I gapped the new plugs at .30 (.28-.32 specs) and installed them using a 12" piece of 5 mm vacuum hose and tightened them with the plug socket. I then set up the new cap and wires just like the old one, replace the rotor, then the cap. I routed the wires through the existing wire holders.

The whole process took about 1 1/2 hours and the total cost of parts was $273.50 (including the spark plug puller).

Before Picture:

After Picture:

Next Page

Back to My 928 Home Page

Contact me at:

Copyright 1999, George A Suennen
written: 11/2/99
rev: 06/16/00